what new york has taught me



The thought kind of hit me today-
We might not live in New York much longer. It could possibly be just for this year, as work and interests could take us elsewhere. I had dreamt my whole childhood about living in New York.

Its funny, how insanely much once place, one trip, one moment in time can change your life so drastically. The past six months have been very contemplative for me. This city is teaching me more about myself than any other place has. I thought in moving here that I would become fashion obsessed, but quite the opposite. My focus on fashion, and the way I dress has simplified, in huge ways. I had this pressure on myself to be basically more fashionable then the olsen twins, as if it was something that would fulfill my sense of being, when in reality, my personality and the things I loved called for the opposite. Classic, simple elegance. You know, that rare chicness. I made the decision to stop buying clothing that is edgy or trendy or that I thought would make me look and feel a certain way, and instead buy clothing that I could still see myself wearing thirty years from now.  Fashion became less about making a statement but more about collecting memories. I cleaned out my closet and kept only my favorite items- I have never had this small of a wardrobe. I cannot begin to describe how entirely freeing this all was.

I also feel more environmentally conscious and I cannot wait to work my lifestyle down to a zero waste lifestyle. (check out the zero waste home blog for lifestyle tips.) I also have started to make most of our beauty products, shampoos, soaps, etc- a little crazy, I know. But also extremely rewarding to rid yourself of all unwanted products. My beauty routine is simple and easy. I stopped wearing makeup around two months ago and save it for special occasions (I cant live with out red lipstick). I used to feel so embarrassed to be seen without makeup! But now, I love the way I look without it, and I love how effortless and beautiful I feel. Another entirely freeing thing.

I have never felt more comfortable in my own skin. My focus has shifted from being consumed with presenting myself well in this huge city, to spending time with the people I love, building and designing a home and space to calm and ease, having meaningful conversations and entertaining often, spending time alone with a cup of tea.

I originally meant for this blog to be a design blog of the daily happenings, but its turning more into a lifestyle blog, which I find quite fitting. My little blog on the habit of being. Care to join?



4 comments:

  1. I have found though personal observation that as we grow older we seem to put on more layers and that only when we a truly happy do we strip down to who we really are again. It makes me think of children's toys. We start out with wooden blocks and gradually move on to brighter, shinier and louder toys until it drowns out any imagination. So blocks seem good to me. I am so proud of you mad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GIRL! you are such a rock star. I love that you're feeling content in NY and making changes that you're happy about :) (oh and I'm also with you on the trying-to-be-more-eco-friendly, no-makeup wagon... I really want to make my own laundry detergent and my friends are laughing at me... haha.) Love you! Hope you continue to be happy in the city and wherever life takes you next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful sequence...i agree with you. is it because we are getting older and wiser and appreciate other things...? however, i'm happy for you. and for me because next month i'm visiting ny for the first time..
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You echo what I feel right now. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete