I recently read an article about the so called French Five. Apparently a french woman only invests in five pieces per season- five well made, beautiful pieces of clothing. I have heard and read about others doing similar things (maybe not with french motivation) but limiting the clothing they can buy per season. I think it is a fantastic idea one, because I am horribly impatient and want the perfect wardrobe NOW- I could stand to learn patience focus on my purchases a bit more, and make sure I love the item, and two because it gives the ability to save up and spend more money on each item- than if I were to go to Jcrew and buy a few items for the same price, but lesser quality. Anyways, I am going to try it this year- I am going to invest in five pieces a season (excluding any basics that I may need or need to replace).


Goals for 2013:
- invest more in apothecary
- update my undergarments
- only buy 5 pieces per season
- buy clothing of better quality in order to get more wear from them
- think versatile, can wear to the office as well as weekends
- buy more solid colors and textures (less patterns)
- only buy something if i love love love it (i want to have a wardrobe of beautiful clothing that I love to wear!)
Wardrobe plans for 2013:
Barbour or A.P.C. Trench Coat: Its probably about time that I owned a trench coat
Stylish Winter Jacket: think some sort of bouclé isabel marant bator jacket
Warm Winter Jacket: I realized that I will never live anywhere warmer than New York- its time I invest in a cute and warm parka of some sort
Long sleeved Breton top: APC or St James
Short boots: possible ACNE pistols- not sure if I want another black pair or a brown pain yet.
Black knee high boots: unfortunately my hunters are not office appropriate not sure if this will actually become something I invest in or not
Simple wearable dresses: shift dresses with sleeves so they can be worn to work- think Samuji Faithful dress
Delicate gold jewelry: I literally have like three pieces of jewelry. I don't like to wear much, but it adds a dressier effect when needed- especially good for the office (a lot of my clothes are a bit casual jewelry makes them look less so)
Black Pencil skirt: versatile piece for the work week
Walkable close toed heels: I own three pairs of heels- most of them not very good quality, therefor not very comfortable, but two out of the three pairs are open toed and therefor can not be worn during winter
Warm gray scarf: have been looking forever- would love an ACNE Canada scarf
Black loafers: most likely Churchs
Silk button downs: black and white, not sure but willing to give them a try
Mary Jane ballet flats: Repetto please!
Chunky, Textured knits: in navy, gray, black, and possibly ivory
New glasses: Have had my eye on a pair for a bit- beautiful and a bit of a thicker frame
Blouses: Over sized and boxy for the office- a classic silhouette for me.
A girl can dream pieces (just for fun!):
- Sofia Coppela for LV bag
- Celine small black clucth
- Chanel Little Black Jacket
I will keep you posted about any purchases!
- invest more in apothecary
- update my undergarments
- only buy 5 pieces per season
- buy clothing of better quality in order to get more wear from them
- think versatile, can wear to the office as well as weekends
- buy more solid colors and textures (less patterns)
- only buy something if i love love love it (i want to have a wardrobe of beautiful clothing that I love to wear!)
Wardrobe plans for 2013:
Barbour or A.P.C. Trench Coat: Its probably about time that I owned a trench coat
Stylish Winter Jacket: think some sort of bouclé isabel marant bator jacket
Warm Winter Jacket: I realized that I will never live anywhere warmer than New York- its time I invest in a cute and warm parka of some sort
Long sleeved Breton top: APC or St James
Short boots: possible ACNE pistols- not sure if I want another black pair or a brown pain yet.
Black knee high boots: unfortunately my hunters are not office appropriate not sure if this will actually become something I invest in or not
Simple wearable dresses: shift dresses with sleeves so they can be worn to work- think Samuji Faithful dress
Delicate gold jewelry: I literally have like three pieces of jewelry. I don't like to wear much, but it adds a dressier effect when needed- especially good for the office (a lot of my clothes are a bit casual jewelry makes them look less so)
Black Pencil skirt: versatile piece for the work week
Walkable close toed heels: I own three pairs of heels- most of them not very good quality, therefor not very comfortable, but two out of the three pairs are open toed and therefor can not be worn during winter
Warm gray scarf: have been looking forever- would love an ACNE Canada scarf
Black loafers: most likely Churchs
Silk button downs: black and white, not sure but willing to give them a try
Mary Jane ballet flats: Repetto please!
Chunky, Textured knits: in navy, gray, black, and possibly ivory
New glasses: Have had my eye on a pair for a bit- beautiful and a bit of a thicker frame
Blouses: Over sized and boxy for the office- a classic silhouette for me.
A girl can dream pieces (just for fun!):
- Sofia Coppela for LV bag
- Celine small black clucth
- Chanel Little Black Jacket
I will keep you posted about any purchases!
Investment pieces are so worthwhile because in a way you build yourself up to buying it and therefore know that you really love, love, love it! I have just read through a few of your blog posts and I totally understand the feeling of having a wardrobe that is just full of "trends", it really makes throwing an outfit on in the morning tiresome and a hassle.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking of investing in a Breton top and good quality ankle boots. I have been looking at loafers, too, think of Tod's classic loafers.
Can't wait to read more of your posts and can't believe that I hadn't stumbled over sooner even though I follow you on Instagram!
Also, your dog is so adorable x
beginsimply.blogspot.com
I totally agree with you! Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteI have been doing the same thing since I moved to Paris a couple of years ago. I think it really is a great way to assess your spending habits and also to build up a very versatile wardrobe. My plan now is to buy fewer items each season & then wear them out.
ReplyDeleteI really like your blog, by the way.
Thank you Kelli! You are so darling! I hope you are loving paris- what an adventure!
DeleteI am genuinely enjoying your fashion/style posts. I just stumbled upon your blog and am bringing myself up to speed. I am finding myself where you were in NY. Ready to edit my closet and begin investing in only quality pieces. The thought of purging so many items that I paid for is making me anxious though (which is silly). I never wear half the stuff! Any tips on how you edited out the clutter and "noise" in your closet?
ReplyDelete