style transformations



Once my closet was a jumble of all the latest trends, cheaply made clothing, over accessorized everything. To say I hated my wardrobe is an understatement- I never felt like myself when wearing it. I often had meltdowns because nothing I put on looked right, or rather felt right. Instead of my wardrobe being a reflection of myself and edifying it was something that caused me huge amounts of stress and a lack of confidence on all levels. I craved to be a woman- a woman with subtle confidence and easy style.
It took me a long time to diagnose my problem, but after the wedding, and after a few months of being married I realized that something needed to change,  I wanted to change. I slowly started to reinvent my style. I was living in new york at the time, and had so much inspiration around me- I just became more observant- what are other woman wearing that i like?
I also felt a huge need for simplicity, I do in many areas of my life. I wanted to create a simplistic wardrobe, much like I want to have a simple home, so that I (and my husband) remember that it is not about the things, but rather spending time with the people we love and spending time doing what we love- avoiding clutter for me, means I am left with only the things that give our home value. To me, life is about the simple moments, the falling in love, the being a human, creating and living (like right now my husband and pup sitting on the bed behind me as I type this, drink coffee, listen to music- it just feels right, it feels perfect, in all its simplicity).
I often feel like I have two opposing sides to who I am, and I have had to learn how to bridge the two parts together. One side being this overly whimsical, creative, and charming part- the other side this simple, chic, minimalist part. My wardrobe was mainly shaped around the first and lacked the latter- it felt forced and wrong and needed simplifying.
Now I am learning to embrace simplicity, to buy less but better quality, embrace the adventure of building a perfect wardrobe (vs following the latest trends) and to have discipline when it comes to wants vs needs. I have learned what silhouettes and looks I love and feel confident and myself in and basically stick to those. Of course it is always adapting and changing, especially recently with starting to work in the corporate world- its been challenging and fun to translate my simple, chic, masculine style into the workplace.
As much as I enjoy being comfortable and somewhat masculine in style, I am learning also what it means to be a woman and feminine. I am married, so it is important to me to be and feel feminine- that is a whole other world that I am learning slowly (and frankly could use tons of tips in!) but I have found it tends to be simple things- clean and freshly polished nails, beautiful and practical undergarments, a perfect haircut, etc.
 "Obvious sexiness is not my taste. For me, sexiness comes in the form of subtlety and sensuality. Exposing a bit of the wrist at the end of the sleeve, revealing the collarbones when wearing a boat neck sweater, a flash of ankle, a sensual scent, well-groomed but never overdone hair and subdued makeup – these are the small, subtle details that elevate an understated look into something intriguing."

I recently read an article about the fabeled French Five- a french woman only invests in five well made, classic, and versatile pieces per season. How smart is that?


No comments:

Post a Comment